Sunday, May 30, 2010

Let the Gardening season begin!

Today was very productive. There has been lots of yard work going on around here, much of it in an effort to expand and protect gardens. My raised vegetable bed is sporting some very fine new fence panels to keep the darn rabbits out. My vine gardens have been doubled in size thanks to the purchase of a new (used) roto-tiller at the end of the season last year.

Two seasons ago, I experimented with landscape fabric covering the entire garden. It worked very well in keeping the weeds down. Last year, I made the mistake of buying the cheaper fabric and the weeds blasted right through it. SO, this year, I bought the 10 year fabric and finished installing it all. I planted everything in both gardens. I have 2 spaces left in which I want to plant some pumpkins, but have finally used up the pumpkin seeds which I had laying around. I am going to have to go get another package!

Today has gone according to plan (so far). The beginning of the day was sunny and gorgeous. This afternoon feels like a storm is on the way. The temps have fallen and the sky has clouded up. This gives me a perfect excuse to finally finish some "indoor" work. In my humble opinion though, indoor work is not nearly as much fun as OUTDOOR work. I am going to get on with my domestic duties, so I will be ready to get back outside tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment