Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly..all in one!

The pet sitting business I have been running has taken off.  I am busy all the time. Many of the clients have become friends, and I love their pets as much as my own.  When I stop and think about it, there are many of the pets that I see every week.  With my older accounts, I have seen a certain dog every weekday for going on 3 years! 

It is really no surprise then, that I come to know each and every pet well.  I know what they like, I know what they don't like.  I can predict what they will do, and I know what's normal and what' s not for each. 

That's how discovery about one of the dogs happened last week.  He is a dog that had surgery last year to have some cancerous toes removed.  He is gorgeous, loved, and the picture of health.  As I walked with him and his buddy, I noticed something that did not look right on the back of his leg. I called him over for a closer look.  Sadly, my suspicion was realized when I touched the Popliteal Lymph nodes on his left leg.  There was a very pronounced enlargement of the nodes on the leg which was operated on in the spring.  I was sick, honestly sick to my stomach.  When we finished our walk, we went in the house and he coughed softly.  This is another bad sign when you put it together with other pieces of the puzzle.

To complicate matters, his "mom" was scheduled to leave on vacation in a few days. It was hard to break the news to her, but I knew it had to be done immediately.  She's a take charge kind of lady and once the shock subsided a little, she put things in motion.  Within a day, this dog was at the vet school to have the situation looked into. 

After receiving the bad news, it has been decided to give treatment a try.  With luck, we caught this early, early enough to make a difference, I hope.

I hope that I make a difference in what I do for my clients and the pets we love! It is nice to think I do.
Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt that you make a huge difference. I hope this story has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete