Last evening, I had the rare privilege to come across a woodcock or timber doodle nest. The mom flushed off the nest in the deep grass when I got too close.
What is more vulnerable than nesting on ground? I have been thinking of this all day. Is it vulnerability or is it just trust? Maybe it's hope? Bravery? Or is it just the way nature is. The ground birds are just playing the hand that nature has dealt them.
Besides the Woodcock,Ducks, Pheasants, Grouse, Meadowlarks, Killdeer, Quail, Geese, Sand hill Cranes are just a few of the ground nesting birds I can think of.
Shortly after pondering this, I went outside to take the dog out. There was a doe that was hesitant to leave the area, in spite of the dog barking wildly. Two more steps revealed a tiny baby fawn curled in the grass. I brought the dog in and got my camera. What a delicate, beautiful little baby! The little guy noticed me and he stoop up. He finally decided to toodle away after i tickled his tiny chin.
Later, I observed the doe return a couple of times to the place she had left him. Soon, she looked off to the East, and there he was, calling her and making his way back to her. It was a happy reunion.
Another little helpless baby on the ground. It makes me respect all the mommas out there in the wild. They raise those lil babies with so many threats
No comments:
Post a Comment