None of us is getting any younger.
The heartbreak of having a beloved pet is determining when they are telling you that they want to be done. No one I know has ever admitted to letting go too soon, in fact, the tendency is to hold on to our family pet just a little too long.
Still, it is a personal decision between me and my pet. When they falter, struggle, and no longer enjoy their existence, we deal with it with mercy and compassion no matter the cost to the human involved.
If there is still another treat to be enjoyed, still another sunbeam to nap in, still another toy to play with, still a spark for living, then my pets will be allowed to enjoy the time they have left. If that poses an inconvenience to anyone else, too bad.
An elderly pet requires lots more supportive care than a younger pet. (as does any elderly being.) But, I am willing to do that for any of my pets when it becomes necessary. They really don't owe me anything, in truth, I owe them.
My pets have been steady and faithful. They forgive me when I am not at my best, which is often. They give me company and love. They make me laugh, they help me smile, and yes, sometimes they can irritate me. I am sure I irritate them, as well. More than anything they are important companions and live on in our hearts even when they are gone.
So, until the time comes, we'll just take it slow and savor the happy times.
No comments:
Post a Comment