Saturday, April 23, 2011

It is NOT the bee's knees!

Earlier this year, I had the big idea of running a 5K.  I publicly voiced my intentions, just to get myself motivated.  The nice relatives ( my sis-in-laws) were so encouraging!  I began to "train".  Every other day, even though the weather was A W F U L, I would run along my regular walking route.  You know, the one that is UPHILL both ways?  Anyway, just as I was getting my "wind" and it appeared that I would be able to run the whole way out (which would have been about 1/4 of the final goal), I was stricken with B A D bilateral knee pain.  Apparently, my elderly knees did not approve of my foolish plan. To be honest, even in my youth, my knees were always the ones to start complaining, that is right after my cardiovascular/respiratory systems. 
The simple act of walking was painful and my knees felt loose and wobbly. ( Now this is a problem, as I walk lots of dogs during the day.)  I debated:  Should I quit?  Should I just run through the pain? After having a silly dream, in which I was running through town with ease, I tried plan B. ( the running through the pain plan) That gave me my answer loud and clear.  I got 1 and one half minutes into the run and the knees were hollering N O NO  NO!  Guess it is time to listen.
Plan C
Around my birthday, I saw the most glorious purple mountain bike at Fleet Farm.  More on that later.......

2 comments:

  1. After having a lengthy discussion with my doctor about why my hubby can run 8 miles everyday with ease and I can barely run a mile without my shins killing me, she told me "some people are not made for running." Not the great medical answer I was looking for, but it makes sense to me. Some people can run and some can't. Although I continue to try, most days I fall into the second category. Biking sounds like a great alternative... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those people. I think I will go with your doctor's explanation! ;)

    ReplyDelete