Observations after 50(plus) years on this planet. This could be proof that an OLD dog actually CAN learn new tricks!
Saturday, March 7, 2015
Phenology
"Phenology is the study of the timing of seasonal change in plant and animal species"
Phenology. That is the word! I have been practicing it for many years before I even knew the word. Along with many others, I keep a keen ear and eye out in the winter, looking for my favorite cues that Spring is about to break out.
This week, the weatherman is predicting a "warm up", which seems long overdue. ( Of course, we have all learned that the weatherman is not always right. )
Looking at the natural world gives us the clues as to what to expect. I have found that this is especially true when it comes to knowing that winter is releasing the grip it has had on Minnesota.
The signs are usually the same each year, even if they come at slightly different times.
The first I notice is usually the call of the Great Horned Owl. For some reason, they begin nesting at the end of January. They must want to get a head start on things! I heard the Great Horned Owls. Check!
Then, I usually notice that my flock of hens start to lay eggs again, and they have. Check!
Then I notice the cardinals signing and the chickadees break into the song that they sing in spring. I have heard the cardinals, but am still waiting for the change in the chickadee song! I expect to hear them change the song any day now.
And one of my favorite signs is when the raucous cheers of the Red Winged Blackbirds greet me when I first step out into the morning. I love the first time I hear them chattering about being back into the low swampy areas around where I live. Usually, they return around mid-March After they come back, I know that we have almost put another winter behind us.
They are followed by the emerging fuzzy "pussy willows", which are another sure sign that the warm up is on the way.
So, while the weatherman is happily telling us all that spring is coming, Mother Nature has already told those of us who were paying attention!
p.s. after I wrote this post, I went out to do some animal care. Sure enough, my little friends, the chickadees were singing their spring song!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment