
Before you read any further, here is a warning: This post is not for the squeamish. It is a little observation about the day-t0-day ailments faced here on the little hobby farm.
I went out to tend the pretty ladies on Monday morning. One of the girls was in a bit of distress. She had a messy bottom and was straining. Since there was no school that day, I had a fair bit of running to do with the boys, so the little red hen had to wait.
Later in the afternoon I had time to research "egg binding" and "prolapse" in the world of chickens. (It should be noted that I have had a red hen prolapse in the past, and that did not end well for her.)
I brought our girl in, cleaned her up and managed (look away here if you are squeamish) to extract the egg and reduce the prolapse. I hope this "fix" holds, but suspect that the next time she needs to lay an egg, this could happen again. If so, she will need to be dispatched. I hope she is well now, she's a nice hen!
Lots of glamour here on the farm!
No comments:
Post a Comment