Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Eagle






Yesterday was the anniversary of my brother's funeral 15 years ago.
As we left the church and followed the hearse to the cemetery, I remember noticing a bald eagle circling above the highway in the cold,steel grey sky. The memory of that eagle soaring above the procession has always stayed with me.

On that day, the first snowflakes of the year began to tumble through the air while we were at the cemetery. I was pregnant with my first child. His wife was pregnant with their son. I remember the hot tears on my face and the cold air outside.( For some reason, all the important people that have passed from my life have had funerals on very cold days.)

Fast forward to the present. I was out walking one of my little dog "clients" yesterday. As we walked, IN TOWN, I noticed something above me. I looked up and it was an EAGLE. The majestic bird passed over my head, it was flying low. As I looked up, it seemed to meet my gaze, (maybe it was just looking at the little dog), but I prefer to think that it was a memorial, a reminder, a communication? I stopped and my whole body got goosebumps. I could not help it, but I cried. I watched as the big bird circled slowly away through a clear, sunny blue sky.

I really am not a big believer in the "after life" anymore. But, sometimes, there are signs that just maybe there is something. I always hope for a sign...yesterday's was hard to ignore.

Hey, little brother, you are always with us, it's your favorite time of year. We still miss you.


2 comments:

  1. In the interest of accuracy, it must be noted that I did NOT have my camera along. I needed to find an eagle photo online to add to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe that was 15 years ago. Your story gave me goosebumps. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete